GISWiki - Das freie Portal für Geoinformatik (GIS)
Earth3D is a Earth viewer, for elevation and imagery, streaming from its own online database of mostly MODIS data, written by Dominique Andre Gunia of Braunschweig University of Technology
- portable open source (GPL), source is C++ and uses QT
- binaries available for Linux, MacOSX and Windows
- tried the Windows binary v1.0.1 (on 2004.09) and found:
- Although the program works fairly well, there was a lack of caching - turning left then right again would cause all the data to have to be streamed down again. The elevation dataset was also very strange (cruder than SRTM or even GTOPO).
- Apparently, to view any data besides the built-in dataset, one would need to modify the code.